Some of the first objects that are being moved to the new central storage are a number of chests. The chests vary in size and shape from little manageable handy ones to huge 300+ kg ones. Many of the chests have at least one lock and many of the bigger ones have several locks and therefor several corresponding keys. What we have discovered, is that some of the chests are locked and we cannot open them to clean them inside or to check if there is anything in them.


The tricky part came when (to our horror) we found that many of the keys have not been kept with the corresponding chests. Some of the keys have been removed from their chest and put together in one huge stack or lost at some point in their lives. Yesterday we moved the great stack of different keys to the conservation department and started looking through them to try and find any numbering or identification on the keys that would enable us to match them to their corresponding chest. Some of the keys are numbered and have tags, some have unreadable old tags attached, some of them have numbers written on them and some have no identification at all. We found out pretty fast that many of the keys aren’t for chests at all, but for cupboards, drawers and even for doors!

It would be too much work to take out every chest from storage and try all the keys now. Instead we have arranged all the keys in different groups, so they are easy to find, when we start cleaning and packing the chests. When we start working on a chest without a key we’ll go to the board with keys and check if there’s one matching the chest. Hopefully we’ll be able to match some of the keys and chests and maybe we can open some of the chests that have been locked for many years. Nobody knows what the locked chests contain or if they contain anything at all. It will surely be a very exciting key bingo if we manage to unlock any chests and we’ll be sure to make a new blog post about it so keep following!